Monday, September 28, 2009

Emotional Design

1. In this reading Norman touched on the three important types of Design that influence people's emotions, the "tricks" that designers use to reel people in. These three types are Visceral, Behavioral, and Reflective. Visceral gets the immediate "I want it" reaction. It physically attracts the viewer to the product. Behavioral is about the function of the product. The most important thing is that it serves it's purpose. A product can look sleek and shiny, but if it doesn't perform how it was designed to perform, then it is worthless. Reflective Design is about the looks of a product, and how sometimes although it may cause frustration, a person will still buy the product to support their self image and to feel confident.

2. In the first reading, Norman talked about the basics of design- what made a successful one and a failure. In this reading he went into further detail of what goes on in the mind of the designer, and the relationship between the customer and the product. In this reading, Norman discussed about how designers create their products to trigger certain feelings and emotions to get people interested in their products. This reading was more scientific as well.


3. a) I think the ipod nanos are a good example of a Visceral design. They are bright and colorful and well advertised on TV. When they are advertised they are shown with the rest of the color options which makes them seem even more colorful and fun.
b) To carry around my money, ID, and credit card, I either use my pocket or a simple wallet. I don't use a big flashy purse or even a decorative wallet. The wallet I use does its job, it holds the different objects that I will be soon using. They are readily accessible.
c) I think there are some clothes that I buy that aren't very comfortable and I can get annoyed with them, but I still buy them and wear them because it makes me feel more confident when I get approval from others. These clothes can also be expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment