Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Organization and Preparation Tips

a) Organization and Preparation:
1. What do you think are the author's three most important points?
-- Know your audience! Understand who you are presenting to, and what they are wanting from you. It is important to know the environment and how much people already know about the subject at hand.
-- Be prepared! Outline your presentation before you begin constructing a visual, like a power point. Organize your thoughts and practice before presenting. Anticipate the possibility of a time shortage. Make sure you are making a point with your presentation.
-- Keep it simple! The audience won't be able to keep up if all you give them is facts, and you don't have a purpose and direction. Tell short stories because then the audience can relate more, and you can keep their attention longer that way.

2. How might you apply his advice to your own presentation?
He gives me a lot of great advice. In the past, I have started my preparation with a power point, instead of outlining my thoughts first. I will definitely do that this time. I will think of the audience I am presenting to, and take into account what they already know. I am going to try and keep it simple and relatable, because I know I have a time limit. I should be prepared for a technological malfunction, or any other circumstance that could shorten my allotted time for presenting. For each point I make, I will make sure that it has a purpose and that my direction is clear.

3. What do you think presentation preparation has in common with product design?
It is important for designers to know who their audience is, so they can target their product to their audience's likes and emotions. No matter how beautiful or sleek a product is, if the "content is not solid" or it doesn't function properly, than the outward appearance doesn't matter. Functionality is a priority. It is essential and smart for a designer to plan and outline the design before actually starting to design a product. Their ideas will be clearer, and they will have a better understanding of what they are about to execute.


b) Areas of design I am most interested in:
Clothes- the psychological tactics in retail stores
Mac products- ipod, iPhone, computers etc.
Everyday items.

No comments:

Post a Comment